What is Micro Needling?
Micro-needling is a process that involves moving a roller with many tiny needles that prick and puncture the skin. There are different kinds of micro-needling devices with different product names. There are motorized devices such as the Dermapen or Dermastamp. The one that I’ll be reviewing is the manual version of micro-needling called a Dermaroller. Micro-needling devices have some science behind them indicating they help in reducing the appearance of scars, wrinkles and acne. At the very least, Micro-needling can be helpful for its ability to help anti-aging ingredients absorb better into skin. This blog talks about the vast benefits of using a derma roller, what size needle to use to address your needs, and some Do’s and Dont’s for those who are just getting into micro-needling!
Benefits of Micro-needling with Derma Rollers
The derma roller induces collagen production in the dermis then damaged skin gradually improves. The new collagen fills in the damaged skin and reduces the appearance of imperfections. With continuous use, collagen will continue to accumulate and rebuild skin tissue. There are three primary uses for micro-needling devices. The first is to break down the thick collagen that causes some types of scarring. The other two uses are stimulating collagen production by wounded skin, thereby improving the appearance of wrinkles, and third, enhancing the absorption of skincare ingredients. Needling can also help reduce the appearance of cellulite but the result are temporary.
Derma Rolling can help with the following:
- Fine lines
- Deep wrinkles
- Acne scars
- Surgical scars
- Chicken Pox scars
- Stretch marks
- Sun damage
- Hair loss
Does Size Matter?!
Something else to consider when purchasing you fist derma roller is what size needle to purchase. As you are doing your research you find that the size of the need address different types of skin damage so getting the right size is critical in seeing the results you want. below is a size chart of the different derma needles you'll find.
How to Micro Needle using a Derma Roller?
For those who are new here are some simple instruction on how to operate you Derma Roller.
REMINDER: MAKE SURE TO DO YOUR RESEARCH AND CONSULT WITH A DERMATOLOGIST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO YOUR SKIN! I AM NOT A MEDICAL/HEALTH PROFRSSIONAL.
1. Choose the appropriate derma roller size make sure it’s in accordance with your desired treatment.
2. WASH YOUR HANDS THOROUGHLY!
3. Sanitize you Derma Roller: soak it in a cup of 90% rubbing alcohol for 15 mins
4. After soaking rinse with warm water
5. Gently roll over your cleansed skin (face, neck, and chest). Roll in one direction using firm and uniformed pressure. Do Not twist the derma roller while its still on your skin; lift the roller from your skin when changing directions. [See diagram below]
**You’ll will notice redness but this is OK.
6. Once you’re done with your roller, rinse and soak in alcohol again for 15 mins. Then store on protective case.
7. Spray skin with cooling mist (purified water, or rose water preferably).
8. Finally, use your favorite oils and moisturizers or if it’s daytime make sure to put on a sunscreen with a very high SPF (30 of higher).
**Repeat in 10-14 days